Through the Snowmageddon that has become 2015, four new FableVision interns have battled the weather that has imperiled the city of Boston – fighting T delays and bitter cold temperatures to make their way to the fun (and thankfully warm!) FableVision studio at 308 Congress St.
Whether we are tweeting with the marketing team or bringing illustrations to life with the artists, all of us have the opportunity to develop our individual skills at FableVision’s creative and colorful studio here in Boston. With that being said, say hello to FableVision’s spring – even if it is still snowy – interns!
Paloma Diaz-Dickson, Art Intern
My name is Paloma Diaz-Dickson and I was born in Houston, Texas and grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I attended a German school K-12 and did a semester abroad in Germany when I was sixteen. I returned to the US for college, first attending Williams College for a few years before transferring to the Art Institute of Boston (now Lesley University College of Art and Design) and completing a BFA in illustration.
Having done a previous internship at a small toy company in Lakeville, MA, I discovered that I mainly enjoy producing illustrations intended for children, which is what led me to FableVision. In the future I hope to continue producing art and illustrations for toys, other children's products, games, apps, and other interactive media for children.
Interesting facts about Paloma:
- I have probably seen the 1985 Anne of Green Gables mini series close to 100 times.
- I have eaten a piraña that I fished out of the Amazon river myself.
- I can do ten push-ups in a row.
- I have been ice fishing. It was very cold, but lots of fun!
- I have held many baby sloths in my lifetime and will hold many more.
Alyssa Graca, Marketing Intern
My name is Alyssa Graca, and I am currently a senior at Simmons College studying Communications and English, with a minor in Cinema and Media Studies. I grew up in the small town of Somerset, MA – being in Boston has been a change, but it has now become my second home!
Ever since I was a kid I loved drawing, writing, and making videos – cartoons and books were what originally inspired me to want to pursue a career in media. FableVision thrives off of a desire to educate and inspire children, so I immediately felt a connection when I first heard of their studio here in Boston. I was ecstatic to join the FableVision team as a marketing intern, and have absolutely loved every minute of it! From drafting blog posts to researching information for upcoming projects, I have already learned a bunch and can’t wait to see what other experience I will gain during the rest of my time here!
Interesting facts about Alyssa:
- I used to be terrified of roller coasters until my friend forced me on Bizarro at Six Flags New England - which we then proceeded to ride a total of 3 times that day (and another 8 the next time we went!).
- My favorite cartoon (and the one that had the most positive impact on my life) is Danny Phantom.
- This past summer I visited my dad's old hometown in the Açores, which was the farthest I've ever been from home.
- My childhood home was haunted; I am a firm believer in ghosts.
- I have been to the Kids' Choice Awards - which was a totally unexpected, yet super amazing experience!
Kat Jia, Art Intern
Hello, I'm Kat Jia. I'm one of the art interns at FableVision. I focus mostly on animations with Flash. I spent my childhood in Beijing China, and came to America when I was 12. My teenage years were spent under the lovely sun of California, and I eventually came to the East Coast to study art at Rhode Island School of Design. I love the autumns here with golden leaves, but the now [winter] is a little harder to handle. I came to FableVision because I really enjoy hand drawn animation. It's really exciting to see that FableVision still believes in that handcrafted feel in this age filled with 3D modeled animation. In the future I hope to continue to animate and learn how to tell stories more effectively.
Interesting facts about Kat:
- I'm on a lion dance team~ Two people make up one lion, with one person controlling the head, and another person being the butt.
- I like making steam buns, especially on warm days. It's super exciting watching them rise to twice the original size - that's when you know they will turn out really fluffy.
- The cube is my favorite geometric solid. I think it's slightly awkward, which makes it all the more adorable.
- I'm pretty good with giving shoulder massages.
- I love fresh laundry. They smell so lovely, and come out so warm from the dryer. I always wanted to dive into the pile and nap inside.
Alice Kim, Marketing Intern
My name is Alice Kim and I was born in Aurora, Colorado and grew up in Seoul, South Korea. From kindergarten to 12th grade, I attended Department of Defense schools – i.e. for children of military parents stationed overseas. However, I always knew I wanted to come back to the U.S. for college and decided to attend Boston University, despite having never visited the city. Fortunately, I immediately fell in love with the city and had a new home [far] away from home.
With graduation creeping up in less than three months, I am slightly anxious to figure out my next “big step,” but am hoping to continue my career in marketing somewhere within the entertainment industry. I stumbled upon the internship opportunities at FableVision and realized how it could be the perfect chance for me to refine and improve upon skills I have learned before, including social media management and research. Working in such an open and collaborative environment has been great and I am excited to see what else is in store with this internship!
Interesting facts about Alice:
- At 21, I still don't know how to drive.
- Last year, I flew from Boston to Seoul to London and back to Boston - circling the entire globe.
- I am told that I am very reminiscent of Monica Geller from Friends (minus the OCD).
- I can still name around 90% of the original 150 Pokémon.
- Back in the day, Freddi Fish, Putt-Putt, and Pajama Sam were some of my favorite computer games.
Share your own facts, passions, and interests with us at FableVision! Join FableVision Studios' league of interns. You can apply on the website here.